Thursday, August 19, 2010

Food With Love

"Every time I went to a relative's house in India they had so much food and I couldn't say no."


yup...

"It's rude to refuse."

I know.

"But by the end of my India trip my stomach was gone for a toss."

This is a conversation with a friend who just returned from India ten pounds heavier. Well, you see in Indian culture feeding someone is the best expression of love and hospitality. I remember every time my mother hosted a dinner her kitchen smelled of at least five to six dishes along with chapatti, rice and at least two desserts.

While being a good host means insisting a guest to eat at least for couple of times after he has stopped eating, being a good guest means picking up small bite of this or that until every inch of your stomach is full. All of us have been on both ends of the spectrum at some point. And though I hated this food-loading practice when I got married eight months ago I started treading on the same path.

Now it's my turn to be hospitable. And guess what I am pretty good with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment